FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What are Carpe Diem Innovative Schools?
Carpe Diem Innovative Schools are public charter schools utilizing a highly effective blended learning model to educate middle and high school students. The schools feature project-based learning allowing students to investigate and solve complex real world issues, challenges and problems.
Why do Carpe Diem Innovative Schools use project-based learning?
Project-based learning is a dynamic educational style that allows students to learn while focusing on their personal interests. Our students work hands-on with universities/colleges, community organizations and local businesses to gain deeper knowledge and wider understanding of educational concepts and theories. Research has shown project-based learning increases the understanding of subjects, improves communication skills, enhances leadership proficiencies and heightens global readiness.
What type of students are a good fit for Carpe Diem Innovative Schools?
Carpe Diem Innovative Schools are a good fit and smart choice for students who:
- Are motivated and want to work at an accelerated pace to stay challenged
- Thrive in a relationship-driven and ability-based environment
- Desire to take college courses and gain credit while in high school
- Prefer the benefits of a small school
- Are home-schooled students ready for middle and high school
- Enjoy creative and personalized class schedules
How do Carpe Diem Innovative Schools educate students?
Unlike other educational institutions, Carpe Diem Innovative Schools utilize a mastery project-based system – which focuses on what a student knows and understands, instead of simply placing them in a grade based on age. Students are assessed to identify their current instructional levels then individual learning plans are created and additional supports are provided to assist in selecting courses that either close achievement gaps or accelerate learning.
Why are students met at their instructional level?
Students are met at their instructional level to build competency and confidence through hard work and encouragement. Our system doesn’t “teach to the middle” or use pacing guides that force more advanced students to wait for their peers. At Carpe Diem students are rewarded by being able to accelerate learning to meet career and educational goals. Accelerated goals are set for maximum productivity and progress is tracked in real time.
Who can attend Carpe Diem Innovative Schools?
Carpe Diem Innovative Schools are tuition-free public charter schools educating students in grades 6 – 12. Carpe Diem Innovative School is currently enrolling students in grades 7 – 11 during the 2016-17 school year and 12th grade for the 2017-18 school year.
What kind of diploma do students earn?
Students are expected to earn a Carpe Diem distinguished diploma of 45 or more credits and must successfully demonstrate the following:
- Academic achievement in math, English/language arts, science and social studies
- Career maturity defined by creating an effective post high school educational plan
- Financial literacy assessed via a national program
- Physical fitness and wellness habits consistent with personal life goals and family values
- Community service participation
- Responsibility demonstrated by strong attendance
How do students at Carpe Diem Innovative Schools perform?
The Carpe Diem blended learning model has an eight-year track record of academic achievement and student success. Business Week and U.S. News & World Report rated Carpe Diem Schools among the best high school programs in the nation. On average, students typically complete two years of curriculum in one school year.
What sets Carpe Diem Innovative Schools apart from other educational options?
Here are some reasons Carpe Diem Innovative Schools stand out from any other school:
- Relationship-driven atmosphere allowing students to receive the support needed to succeed
- Small, safe campus
- Specialized programs to strengthen academic rigor, individual fulfillment, leadership skills, positive relationships, health and wellness, critical thinking, community engagement and involvement and positive character development
- Accelerated pace of study available to students who want to be challenged
- Ability-based, not grade-level based allowing for personalized learning
- Opportunity to earn college credits while still completing high school
- Cutting-edge technology used as part of curriculum and course completion
- Broad curriculum focused on student interests and needs
- Capability to work anytime and anywhere Internet access is available
Who authorizes Carpe Diem Innovative School?
Learning Schools of Texas authorizes Carpe Diem Innovative School – Westwood.
Where are Carpe Diem Innovative Schools in San Antonio?
There is currently only one Carpe Diem Innovative School in San Antonio located at 8038 West Military Drive, San Antonio, TX 78227. However, there are plans to add a second campus for the 2016-17 school year.
There are also Carpe Diem Innovative Schools in Cincinnati and Indianapolis.